April 22nd 2017

Bowlers on top as Hythe edge Sway

Hythe & Dibden 166ao, Sway 136ao

After a slightly unpromising start, the clouds disappeared for what turned out to be a glorious spring afternoon at Jones Lane as the two club's first team squads went head to head in a 50 over game.

Hythe batted first and suffered an early loss when Matt Young was trapped LBW by John Waller in just the second over. Sway however also suffered an early blow when Waller's strike partner and Sway talisman John Grasham was forced out of the attack with a niggle in his quad. Grasham was replaced by Sway's Australian overseas player Brock Jeffries, making his debut for the Towermen.

Waller and Jeffries kept Agha and Archie Gilbert reasonably quiet for the next few overs before Jeffries claimed his first scalp having Gilbert caught for 11. Tom Richard's was next in at number 4 to steady the ship....and the ship was up in drydock by the time Sam Nailor (7-1-26-1) deservedly got among the wickets dismissing Richards him for a 24-ball duck!

Joshua Bailey was introduced from the top end, and per the previous week, wasted no time in picking up a key wicket - Agha overbalanced as was stumped by Hall for a well made 38 to leave Hythe in a bit of a tricky spot at 62-4.


Hythe's Kiwi Tarin Mason shrugged off the jet lag and came in at number 6 to join Matt How and the pair did a good job moving the score on despite tight bowling and sharp fielding. With thee score on 177, Matt Howe became Joshua Bailey's second victim, driving into the safe hands of Jeffries at mid wicket. Mason was going well and had just passed his half century and Bailey (10-2-44-3) claimed the big scalp having the Kiwi caught for 52.

Daniel Bailey (7-1-20-3)was now on up the hill and not to be outdone by his brother, also picked up 3 wickets. The first came when Jim Merredith was superbly caught low by Waller in the covers. His second wicket had Jonjo Stovell LBW and the 3rd followed some lightening work by Hall to stump Harry Deacon for 11.



Jeffries (10-1-42-2) returned to the action and polished off the Hythe innings, cleaning up Josh Mead to complete a good performance in the field by Sway.


Sway's reply also got off to a sticky start with Mason bowling some sharp stuff down the hill and getting good bounce out of the pitch and Sway lost opener Tim Noble early doors, caught a the second attempt in the slips. Alex Hall and Oscar Marshall managed to hold the fort for a number of overs before Hall was dismissed. Losing early wickets Sway were under pressure for most of the reply and only on a couple of occasions looked likely to chase down the the target. The first was a nice little partnership that got going between Neil Prince and Brock Jeffries which raised hopes. The final ray of hope for Sway came with a partnership between on-form Grasham and Joshua Bailey which took Sway into 3 figures and beyond. However, when number 11 Jon Waller was cleaned up, Sway's reply had fallen some 33 runs short.

Thanks to Chiv for getting up early to get the wicket ready for the noon start and Hythe for putting on the game - plenty of positives in the game for both sides.